George Cockburn 1712-1775
George COCKBURN 1712-1775
The youngest son of Archibald Cockburn of Ormiston (1671-1715) and Isobel Butler, he left Scotland in 1739 for Ireland, becoming a merchant in Dublin. He was a successful man of business. In 1761 he married Anne Caldwell (d. 1769), daughter of Charles Caldwell. Their only son was General Sir George Cockburn (1763-1847).
Used engraved bookplates:
- Franks 6231: Cockburn, George, Merchant
- Franks 6232: Cockburn, George. (The last plate reworked)
- Franks 6233: Cockburn, George. (A different plate)
The extent and disposition of his library is not known. The Cockburn Papers are deposited at the British Library (Add MS 48312-48339).
- Gambier Howe, E. R. J. Franks bequest: catalogue of British and American book plates bequeathed to the ... British Museum. London, 1903.
- Sir R. Cockburn and H. A. Cockburn, The Records of the Cockburn Family, 1913, pp. 181, 225.