Edward Coke 1676/8-1707
Edward COKE 1676/8-1707
Son of Robert Coke of London. DCL Christ Church, Oxford 1695. He inherited Holkham Hall, Norfolk, and married Cary Newton.
Both Edward and Cary used an engraved armorial bookplate dated 1701. Many of their books remain at Holkam (including over 100 with Cary’s bookplate), though some books, including numerous bound volumes of plays, were bought by the Bodleian Library in the 1950s.
- Blatchly, J. Some Suffolk and Norfolk ex-libris, 2000.
- Foster, J. Alumni Oxonienses, Oxford, 1891.
- Gambier Howe, E. R. J. Franks bequest: catalogue of British and American book plates bequeathed to the ... British Museum. London, 1903. 6316-7.
- Mortlock, D. P. The Holkham Library: a history and description, 2006
- Rogers, D. The Holkham collection, Bodleian Library Record 4 (1953), 255-67.