Charles Brandling 1733-1802
Charles BRANDLING 1733-1802
Second son of Ralph Brandling and Eleanor Ogle. He built his family's seat at Gosforth House. He owned collieries in Gosforth, Felling and Middleton, and was High Sheriff of Northumberland 1781 and MP for Newcastle 1784-1797.
A number of Brandling's books are listed in the British Armorial Bindings database, but the extent of his library is unknown. His short will bequeaths his entire estate to his eldest son, Charles John Brandling. Examples: found in a number of libraries including the Folger Shakespeare Library and King's College Cambridge. British Armorial Bindings suggests that his library was sold by Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge in 1895, but this appears to have been the library of a descendent, and it is uncertain whether the library of Charles (d.1802) survived the 1852 sale of Gosforth House.
Three very similar armorial binding stamps have been identified as belonging to Brandling, all feature a brand burning with sprays of leaves on one side, and the motto "Fide et Virtute". Some of the books also contain his armorial bookplate (Franks 3549).
- British Armorial Bindings.
- Friends of Middleton Park.
- Sale of Gosforth Estates.
- Will of Charles Brandling, esquire, of Gosforth house in the county of Northumberland. DPRI/1/1802/B19, Durham University Library, Archives and Special Collections.