John Dodderidge 1610-1659
John DODDERIDGE 1610-1659
Lawyer and MP.
Received a bequest of books from his uncle, John Dodderidge (1555-1628). It is commonly held that Dodderidge gave 112 volumes from their libraries to Barnstaple as the foundation of a town library, which was built 1665-7. However, recent research suggests that books were purchased specifically for the new library, while Dodderidge bequeathed his own books to his wife, Judith.
- Dodderidge, S. The Dodderidges of Devon: with an account of the Bibliotheca Doddridgiana, 1909.
- Gilbert, A. "Public Books in Provincial Towns", Ph.D thesis, University of Exeter, 2022.
- Ibbetson, David. "Dodderidge [Doddridge], Sir John (1555–1628), judge." Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
- Perkin, M. A directory of the parochial libraries of the Church of England. London, 2004, 130.
- Poole, W. "An Unnoticed Seventeenth-century Commonplace Book: Exeter University Library MS 40", Notes and Queries, Volume 63, Issue 4, December 2016, 550–556.
- Information from Anna-Lujz Gilbert.